Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Help with my walls needed

We all like our homes to be what we want them to be, but sometimes they can be a real frustration. When I married Rick in Jan. 05 he owned his home. I moved in and have been trying to make it look good and a bit more up to date.

Every room in the house is dark 70's paneling, no drywall behind it, and all the cabinets are the same coloring. It is very depressing when you are in it all day. I have been trying to figure out what to do with it and thought I might just paint the paneling. Two problems, my husband does not understand why I do not like all this dark paneling and said I can paint one wall and see how it looks. The other problem is the fireplace is also drab. I have a picture here and know there are ways to paint paneling and the fireplace, but I need to have suggestions and some know how from others. I want to paint this wall, the cabinets, fireplace and bricks in front of the fireplace. I did not get a good picture as stuff is all around from the baby, but I think you can see it well enough.


I bought "oops" paint from home depot and have blue, cream (off white) and then a burnt red for accent. Anybody have decorating ideas and something that worked for them when painting a fireplace or paneling?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peggie,
So how about strips? A different color alternating on the paneling strips? Then you will feel like you are at the circus, and the circus has clowns and clowns make you smile!!
Jim

Rachel Anne said...

Hi Peggie,

Painting is my business, so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

To paint the panelling, you will to start with a good primer. Zinsser or Kilz will do the job. Then I would use a cream color paint and just roll it on. I'm not a big fan of straight white. Painted panelling can look great, very clean and updated. If you only get to do one wall, do the wall with the fireplace.

You might be ok with the fireplace after you paint the panelling. But if you still think it needs it, clean it well with TSP and let it dry completely. Ask the guys at your home improvement store what kind of paint to use for bricks. Sherwin Williams has an excellent paint that sticks well to brick. Again, you should prime before painting. You could use your same cream color OR pick something a shade or two darker for some contrast.

Only use the oops paint if you love the colors, otherwise you'll regret not springing for something you'll be living with for a long time.

Hope that helps.

Rachel Anne

Becka said...

Definately paint that paneling. I would use a bright cream...even white, but I would definately put some contrast on the fireplace, I agree with Rachel Anne about using the oops paint ONLY if you love it. Oops paint is great for bathrooms but I suggest you spend the money to by something you LOVE for a room that you spend so much time in

T with Honey said...

Since you've already gotten tips on painting the paneling I'll make a suggestion for the fireplace. Have you thought about putting ceramic tile over the brick?
There are so many different styles and patterns of tile out there and you may even be able to find something on the clearance pile.

Peggie said...

Never thought about the tile. Our budget is so tight I was trying to do with what I have as best as possible. I love the suggestions I am getting, well except the stripes. I have a whole houseful of dark paneling, and a husband who loves it. I think if I can make one wall look good he will change his mind.