Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Easter Bread

I am also using this recipe for favorite ingredient Friday at Overwhelmed with Joy. For more favorite ingredients check Favorite Ingredient Friday!


Today is works for me Wednesday at Rocks In My Dryer and I want to share an Easter Recipe that I like to make.

I have made this bread for church breakfasts, the kids when they were little and for the big kids here and it is good and eaten up fast. Have extra eggs (hard boiled!) on hand. The eggs used in the recipe are raw, they cook with the bread.

Braided Easter Egg Bread

3 eggs
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 pkg. dry yeast
3 1/2 c. flour
2 tbsp. butter
2/3 c. milk
2 tsp. grated lemon peel
6 colored eggs (do not hardcook)

Five hours before serving, mix sugar, salt, yeast and 1 cup flour. Heat butter and milk until 125 degrees. With mixer, mix liquid into dry ingredients. Beat in 3 eggs and 3/4 cup flour. Stir in lemon peel and 1 1/4 cups flour. On floured surface, knead dough 5 minutes. (Add about 1/2 cup flour.)

Place in greased bowl; let rise 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile, dye 6 eggs, but do not hard cook! When dough has risen, punch down; divide into 3 parts. Braid dough and make a circle and place on large greased cookie sheet. Let rise 1 1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. When dough has risen, decorate with raw colored eggs. Bake about 30 minutes or until golden brown.


For more Works for Me ideas go to Rocks in My Dryer. Or Favorite Ingredient Friday at Overwhelmed With Joy!

10 comments:

Overwhelmed! said...

Peggie, this bread looks beautiful!

I'd love it if you'd share this recipe on Friday in my Favorite Ingredients Friday- Easter Edition! :)

Dimple Queen said...

Sounds great....this year we will be camping on Easter...I will definitely print this out and put it away for next year!

Melissa Markham said...

Looks yummy!

Mom2fur said...

Every year I want to make this bread, but never do it. Your recipe looks easy! Thanks, maybe I'll really take the plunge this year!
LOL--and I always did wonder if the eggs were raw or cooked before you start.

Carey said...

How cute! My kids would love this.

Overwhelmed! said...

I am so going to try this! Thanks for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday- Easter Edition II recipe exchange. I sure do appreciate it!

threesidesofcrazy said...

What a cute idea!

Eleisia said...

Big and little kids would love this Easter Egg Bread! I've seen pictures but never made it myself.

Eleisia at
http://chrysanthemoms.com/inthekitchen

Tami said...

I've seen this before...what a cute idea. My kids would love it.

Betsy said...

Looks great!