Monday, February 4, 2008

Clear the lines

OK, I admit it, I am a computer addict. I love my computer! I love it online most, and especially when I can get my email.

I had a bad day yesterday. Why? I could not get my email. Oh, I was online ok, but my email would not download. I tried everything I could. Reboot, close and open the email program, boot (no, not reboot, but use my boot!) — nothing worked.

Why?

I wrote the mail server and found out it was someone spamming and they were trying to locate the person. The lines were too cluttered and it slowed everything down to a stand still. My mail was there, I was sitting here trying to get it, but it was all cluttered between and it would not come.

This morning the line was open and all my mail came through. Ahhhhhhhh, but now I have two days worth to go through.

I do not know about you, but God speaks to me through these times. This morning as I was thinking I realized the same is true of us.

God has the answers, He wants to talk to us, and maybe we want to listen. However, our minds are cluttered and we can't get the message.

How can we be cluttered when we want to hear?
  • Sin keeps us from hearing. Regular patterns of sin that we do not want to give up, or sin that is such a part of us we do not even think of it as sin. Any of it will keep us from hearing Him.
  • Our thoughts. Maybe we are not giving time with Him a clear mind. We have our to do list setting nearby. Or some problem. Something just cluttering.
  • Not spending time in His Word. If we do not know the principles He has set for you and I then we can't hear clearly. We will be "hearing" with our own agenda, thoughts, desires etc. and think we are getting communication. "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God."
There are other things that can keep the lines cluttered, but these are the most prominent ones. De-clutter and keep things open between you and God. Do not have so much going out and in the way that you can't hear Him clearly and openly.

Listen to Him and for Him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. When we clutter our lives with sin, we can't hear God, so we need to go to his word so he will speak to us. My problem is...I don't know where to start reading. I know I should have quiet time with the Lord in his word, but I just don't know how to do it. Do I just open my bible and start reading? Sorry if that's silly question.

Peggie said...

Hi Anonymous,
No, it is not a silly question. I think we all have that question at times. I pick a book and start reading through it. Right now I am in 1 Corinthians. You could try something small, like 1 John. Read a chapter or less a day. Pray before hand, and pray after and then think about what you have read. Remember to keep it in context.

If you would like some Bible Study how to's email me, I will be glad to give you a bit of what I have taught on ways to interpret and study.