Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Greeting Card Organization

Today's Works for me is something I used to do and have gotten away from. However, with family as it is and the birthdays sneak up, I am trying to get back to doing it this year.

If you have a large family and are like me, it seems that it is always somebodies birthday and you are always sending that last minute card. Drives me crazy, as I know when the dates are most of the time, yet seem to get the card and forget to mail it or just forget the day all together until it is right there on me.

Some years ago, I had the problem licked and was doing quite well. My system was that I would buy cards ahead, sometimes picking out several months worth at a time. I would write in them, sign them, address them and then put the date they need to be mailed under where the stamp would go. If they were cards that would get a money gift in I would not seal them up until I put that in there.

I have known of some people who do this with their bills at the beginning of the month and then send them on the day. I messed up the checkbook when I tried that, but the cards worked every time.

Hopefully that means my cards will all be on time this year, since that always worked for me in the past!

For more Works for me Wednesday ideas hop on over to Rocks in my Dryer!

5 comments:

Amy said...

I do something similar, but I'm only a week or so ahead-- not months at a time! :)

tootie said...

If I see a card perfect for someone's birthday, I buy it no matter how early it is. And I keep a stash of generic birthday cards on hand, in case someone's sneaks up on me. Thanks for the tip! :)

Tiffany said...

I am trying to be better about sending cards this year. I wrote down all of the cards that need to be sent and bought a bunch of cards ahead of time at a card outlet. I plan to sit down at the end of each month and send out all of the cards for the next month. I had not thought about putting the date they needed to be sent under the stamp. That is a good idea. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You are super organized on this one! I have a drawer full of cards that I got (probably for free) and I pick one out a few days before a birthday. However if I forget, they get an e-card!

Peggie said...

Well, like I said, I used to do this, and it worked well, I am trying to go back to it again, so we will see how organized I really am!

I have a box that I keep all cards in that I have purchased or got for free. These are the general cards (sympathy, get well, thank you etc) as well as some baby born and birthday. I grab from there when I can for non family, family I pick out according to who they are and what the card says.