Thursday, November 1, 2007

What Every Step Mom Wants To Hear

As I have written before, I am now part of a blended family. I am realizing more and more how much it means and how fortunate I am. It is not easy being so far from my side of the family, in fact it is very hard, but I can't imagine life without my husband Rick. He is one of the most loving men I have ever known and I am so blessed. As I said before, I am twice blessed in husbands. (NO, I do not currently have two husbands! Willie and I were married for almost 30 years when he went home to be with the Lord.)

I am also doubly bless with family. While I cry over missing my children and grand kids in ME, I know this is where God wants me now. God has answered my prayers with step children that love me and I them. One of them trusts me with her most precious possession, her daughter.

I have written about Scout in a previous blog, and the joy she brings, the easing of my missing family by watching her learn and the keeping me busy which wards off self pity. However today I want to tell you that I am so fortunate as a step mom also. This week I received a note from Scout's mom. It is a note that every step mom would love to get and I want to share some excerpts with you. I hope Katie does not mind, but I cry every time I look at this note.

"... I Love Scout more than I ever believed possible. She is such a beautiful child in every way and I know that is with your help. We are absolutely the blessed ones to have you looking after her every day. I can't imagine having to take her to anyone else. She is growing so fast and learning so much and I know if she were anywhere else we wouldn't know what all she was starting to do because to anyone else Scout would just be a job, and I know that isn't what she is with you. The older she gets, the more I want to stay home with her, but knowing she is with you makes all the difference. We truly are blessed to have you in our lives. Not only as Scouts' Grammie but as our mom also. .... from that first time I met you when I had gone to help Dad clean the house before you got there, any uneasiness I had went away. It was amazing how well you just fit from then on. So now I feel just as lucky to have you as I do Jay[her step dad], what society labels as a broken home is now two whole, happy homes. ... This family needed your loving, giving spirit. I know we can't fill the void you have from not seeing all your kids and grand kids all the time but I hope you do know that we love you and are thankful that you are in our lives. "

She started by saying she does not have a way with words, well, she sure does to me, It is what every step mom would love to hear. Thank You Katie (and please do not be mad at me for putting it in here!)

0 comments: