Thursday, October 25, 2007

Mopping Made Easy


Today I am having a guest writer. Karra is my daughter and a pet groomer in Dixfield, ME. Here is what she wrote the other day:
"Okay, a grooming client of mine was chatting with me the other day and shared this..NOW I know some of you are of the older thrifty crowd, so you may already know this.

I was complaining of my mop "pushing the dirt" instead of actually getting it up, I also mentioned that if I had known I had to dry my Pergo style floor I would have opted for something else.

She told me to make a cleaner with cider vinegar, ammonia and Borax, and water of course, and to make my own mop. She gets old mop handles from the dump, and cuts strips of her husband's old shirts, a t-shirt will work but the best are those oxford style polyester/cotton ones-like Rich has to wear for work. SO I had about 10 old stained ones I was about to chuck. I just wrapped it around my swiffer end. WOW!!!

I cannot believe how great my floor looks. I did not have to get down and wipe up the globs the mop and swiffer let behind and I did not have to go on my hands and knees to dry it! It shines! The shirt gets all the dog hair off the floor! Considering I groom in the laundry room it gets everywhere! So it just took me 3 minutes to clean my kitchen floor instead of the 15 it usually takes...considering I have to wash the thing nightly...I am just to thrilled to do anything but pass this on!"

I know I used to use shirts, and even told my husband I think they work better than any of the mops out there, so I wanted to pass this on from the younger generation.! For more frugal ideas check out Biblical Womanhood.


2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is great. The ammonia is ok on the floors? I have wood floors and I feel like you do, if I had known I would have gone with something else. But I am not sure about ammonia! And can't you use real vinegar? I have heard that works.
I also purchased a hoover floor mate which is a life saver for me! It is the best!

Donna(mom24boyz) said...

That is a great idea, I too have some of those shirst I was about to chuck! I have laminate wood floors (armstrong) and have found that Murphy's oil soap says it is safe to use on laminate.