Sunday, October 7, 2007

Out of the Mouths of Babes, and Young Adults

Do you ever wonder why your mind thinks as it does? I mean I will be involved in some cleaning, you know the mindless work that you just do and do not need to think about, and I find myself thinking random thoughts. My husband and I clean offices at a plant near here and I was busy cleaning and my mind was miles and years away at some points. I was bouncing between two trains of thought, one was the things children say and what goes through their mind. The other was more on the same topic as this blog.

I will share my random thoughts with you and let you laugh, cry and ponder with me.

I was thinking about kids and the way they think and how God said to be like a little child. I thought back to when I was in the car with my family. I am not sure how old I was, maybe 12 or so, and we were riding along this road that had hills and twists. We came around a bend and there was a beautiful sunset. There were clouds in the sky and the sun was just partially visible, but the rays of light were following along the cloud and the horizon. My brother who was about 2 or 3 at the time looked up and said "look mommy, the sun is melting". Even at my age I thought it was pretty profound.

Another thought involving children was thinking about my granddaughter at my first husband's funeral. We were all at the funeral home and I decided to take Ivy up and talk to her about her Pop Pop and what was happening. The grand kids all loved their Pop Pop and Ivy spent a lot of time at our house and was actually at the campground when he died. I wanted to take special time to explain things to her since we were close.

Ivy was about 3 and full of questions. I carried her up to the casket and showed her Pop Pop and explained that it was just his body, but that Pop Pop had gone to heaven and was no longer in his body. Ivy stared for a few minutes and asked about why his hands were the way they were. I just told her that was the way they put them. She then asked why his eyes were closed.
The "eye" conversation went something like this:

Me: His eyes are closed because he is dead and it looks better to have his eyes closed.

Ivy: Will he ever open them?

Me: no

~a time of pondering~

Ivy: So he can't see anymore?

Me: no

Ivy: He will never open his eyes?

Me: No, Ivy. He is in heaven and this is just his body, he does not need this body anymore. God will give him a new one that is not sick.

~more pondering~

Ivy: So he will never open his eyes again?

Me: no

Ivy: Then why in the world did you put his watch on him?

Why indeed?

My mind was thinking of more things with kids too, but then it went to thoughts about the older generation teaching the younger. I thought about how it is in my heart as the previous blog said and wondered how this can happen.

My thinking then took another turn!

I began to think of how the younger generation has taught me things. Beth and Jessica were friends at Grace College and I loved Beth. I thought the two of them were a bit crazy together, but that is what made it fun. Now, I am not sure how many years later, these two are grown, married and have kids of there own. I am the older one and need to teach them, yet today I have been thinking about how they are teaching me. They have been my blog advisers. I had no idea what to do with a blog, they encouraged, corrected, helped and pushed me. They showed me carnivals and how they work and got me into Frugal Friday where more people have been teaching me. Beth and Jessica have been showing me the CVS ropes and directing me to sites to help me shop at CVS and save money. Yes, there is a trick to CVS shopping!

So, I sit here now, thinking about why I had such random thoughts today. God directs our thoughts if we allow it, but I am not sure what the purpose of these were, or are. But I am sharing them with you.

I am thankful for the younger people in my life and hope we can all learn from each other.

0 comments: