Tuesday, September 11, 2007

From my heart

I know I do not have a very big audience —YET— but I would like to share my heart with those that are reading.

One of my purposes in writing a blog is to be a help to people in general. Make them laugh, give ideas, learn from my experiences and encourage with ideas for frugality, everyday life and love. I have another passion, however. A burden that has been in my heart for which I have no idea how to implement.

Scripture says that the older women are to teach the younger women to "love their husbands, love their children, be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be dishonored" (Titus 2:3-5).There are similar commands for the older men to teach the younger. I firmly believe that the divorce rate, unhappy marriages and messed up kids is what it is today because my grandparents generation began to fail, my parents generation really failed and now my generation has no idea. People from my generation on think love is a feeling, think they should compete with men instead of be the compliment to them and think children are fine in a day care or plopped in front of the TV.

Love is not a feeling or God would not be telling the older women to teach it to the younger. Where is purity today? Young mothers, and grandmothers, are running around showing off their bodies and lusting after other men and other people's husbands. All because older women have failed to teach.

I want to see this reversed and at this point have no idea how to go about it. Young women today, even in the church, usually do not want help or advice from older. They seek their peers who are as lost as they are in these areas. I am not saying all young women are like that, so please don't get your feathers ruffled, but in general this is what I see.

My heart is to see this all reversed and bring women back to where we should be. I have not wanted to consider myself old, but I am seeing a younger generation that is getting progressively more and more away from learning to love their husbands and more and more kids being from broken homes.

So, now you know my heart, what to do about it I do not know.

Younger women... I love you all!

3 comments:

Jes said...

aww mommy. you're so good. while you're at it teach us to cook and sew. :) You did a good job teaching me to love my husband. I don't remember more than one fight between you and dad, you always respected him. Even though I'm sure you disagreed with some things he did, you never made that known in front of us kids.
The argument I remember goes like this: You were getting upset about something and getting a little louder and Dad was talking in his nice calm voice "now Peggie..." I remember it ending with one of you saying (kinda loudly) "what are we even fighting about?" and the other one saying "i don't know" Then laughter broke out and that was the end. The reason I remember it so clearly is because Jeremy and I were upstairs while all of this was going on, he looked at me and said "I didn't know you're parents ever got loud like that." I said "I didn't know they did either!" Then we laughed too. I just thought it was so funny because you got upset with him for talking all calm while you were getting upset and then you both forgot what you were upset about to begin with.
My point is you taught us to love and respect our husbands. Dad taught the boys to respect and love their wives.
You also taught us modesty, even though we didn't appreciate it when all of our friends were wearing strapless dresses to prom and ours had to have at least a 1 inch strap. Which I remember having to beg you to let me wear it anyway.
Hopefully I have learned enough to be able to teach my daughter(s) one day how to love their husbands, and be workers at home. Hopefully I'll learn enough about cooking and sewing to teach them to cook and sew. Unfortunately while you were busy in the kitchen I was never interested in cooking. It wasn't until I got married that I realize I should have been paying closer attention.
I love you mommy.

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

The more you write, the more excited I get about your blog! I really look forward to what you have to teach me.

After my parents divorced when I was two, my mom wasn't able to stay home with us. (Well, she was a teacher, so she was there in the summer). While she did teach me how to sew (a skill I've long since forgotten all but the basics), I wasn't able to watch or learn anything about marriage, respecting my husband, or even cooking! I'm progressing in the cooking area, but I fear I'm drastically behind in the other (more important) areas.

You've definitely been bookmarked. :-)

Kristy said...

I found you through your Works For Me post. I'm not really sure why I checked it out, anyway, as I'm not married or even close to it myself. But I just wanted to tell you about a couple at my church, who have a heart for mentoring younger couples in their marriage, and wanted to do something but weren't sure what. Know what they did? They just started a small group. They prayed about who to invite to join, and now have a really solid group that is making a real difference in lives and marriages. Our church has just started to announce that they'll be starting a new group in January (its been a closed, not publicized group up to this point), and the interest is huge. Many people in my church are younger - 20s and early 30s, but there really are a lot of people who are interested.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I thought I would just mention it to you, as it certainly seems to be working here. Good luck.