Thursday, September 13, 2007

Laundry Soap and Angel Food


I have been trying to live more frugally. My husband says I am tight, but when you have lower income and bills to pay you need to be. He may tease me about my tightness, but when he saw my savings by making my own laundry detergent he was thrilled. This week I made a batch and figured it may have cost 80 cents for 2 gallons of laundry detergent. He sure bragged up my "tightness"!

We all know how much it costs to properly feed a family, any size family. My family is my husband and I, but food shopping is quite the challenge. We live in an area with only two food stores to choose from, an old Walmart that has limited selection, and a small HEB, with a limited selection. Of course the prices reflect the fact that we have few choices.

To really shop I need to travel, and with gas prices I do not like to do that. Then something came my way that really excited me. Angel Food! No, not angel food cake, but Angel Food Ministries. Anyone can buy the food, no income standards or forms to fill out. For $25 in my state ($30 in CA) you get food worth at least $50 or more. This months menu is:

(1) 4 lb. IQF Leg Quarters
(1) 24 oz. Beef Back Ribs
(1) 1 lb. 80/20 Lean Ground Beef
(1) 2 lb. Breaded Chicken Tenders
(4) 6 oz. Bone in Pork Chops
(1) 1 lb. Ground Turkey
(1) 18 oz. Stuffed Manicotti (Cheese)
(1) 12 oz. Smoked Sausage
(1) Betty Crocker Seasoned Potatoes
(1) 7 oz. Cheeseburger Dinner
(1) 16 oz. Green Beans (frozen)
(1) 16 oz. Baby Carrots
(1) 2 lb. Onions
(1) 1 lb. Pinto Beans
(1) 1 lb. Rice
(1) 7 oz. Blueberry Muffin Mix
(1) 10 ct. Homestyle Waffles
(1) Dessert Item

There are other packages you can buy to go with this, but you must buy this one first.

You are allowed to get as many $25 boxes as you want each month. The boxes vary each month and you do not need to buy one each month. If you do not like the menu, skip the month. For me this is a savings. I can then frugally use the meats in meals and stretch out with other items.

To find out if there is one going in or near your town go to the Angel Food Ministries web site. There they list the menu for the month, locations and deadlines.

For more frugal ideas see Crystal's blog.

3 comments:

Stephanie Appleton said...

That does sound like a good deal.

Is it worth your while to make one big trip a month to stock up and then just buy fresh stuff at the two stores near you?

Peggie said...

Actually I try to do that. My husband has to go to Sam's club for work, so I go along. Work gas and time! We also run to Austin and pick up things there. Helps out.

Lady Why said...

We have an Angel Food ministry close to us too. I haven't had a chance to check them out but you've inspired me to give them a look!